Wednesday 21 November 2012

Banoffee cheesecake

Almost every Saturday my husband takes Sasha out to the Sainsbury's cafe. They used to go to the local coffee shop Huffkins to have a treat of a chocolate eclaire until Sasha decided he didn't fancy it any longer. Then there was a turn of Costa and their Linzer biscuit. Sasha being Sasha, he goes through stages of loving one place and choosing just one particular dessert that he would agree to eat. These days it is the banoffee cheesecake at the Sainsbury's cafe.
I actually tried it myself, and for being a supermarket cake, it is pretty good, creamy and gooey.
I have tried to recreate the similar recipe so that my boys could enjoy a slice of the banoffee cheesecake at home.



I have roughly used Delia's recipe for banoffee cheesecake, but as my guys don't like pecans, I had to change the recipe. I have also altered some other ingredients and quantities, but still feel obliged to say that it was inspired by Delia.

Ingredients:

for the base:
150g digestive biscuits, crushed
2 tbsp ground almonds
60g butter, melted

2 ripe bananas, mashed
150g caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp vanilla paste
200g fromage frais
200g light cream cheese


for the topping:
1 banana, sliced
+ sauce made with
40g butter
70g demerara sugar
50g granulated sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
100ml double cream

Start by crushing the digestive biscuits by putting them in a plastic bag and bashing them with a rolling pin. Mix the crumbs with the melted butter and ground almonds.
Place a layer of foil inside your cake tin, oil it well, put the crumb mix inside and press well to make the base for your cheesecake.

In a big bowl beat the eggs with sugar and mashed bananas. Add the lemon juice, orange juice, vanilla paste, fromage frais and cream cheese. Mix well. Pour the mixture inside the cake tin on top of the biscuit base.

Bake for about an hour at 180C. Leave it in the oven to cool completely before taking it out,or the surface might crack. If it happens, no worries, just add more banana slices for decoration.
Slice the banana and arrange around the cake top.

In a pan melt the butter, add both sugars, the golden syrup and double cream, cook over a very low heat until it is all dissolved and looks like a toffee sauce.
 



Serve the cake with the sauce, be generous, you won't regret it.




I had several visitors yesterday, so the cake didn't last very long.
As for my darling Sasha, he looked at the cake, sniffed at the slice I offered to him, poked it a few times and left untouched. I guess, I am no competition for Sainsbury's in his mind. :)

1 comment: