Saturday 8 June 2013

Zingy pork with pak choi

This recipe is inspired by Helen from Fuss Free Food blog. When I say "inspired" I want to acknowledge that I have borrowed the idea but haven't followed the original recipe precisely, as I'm not the biggest fan of kale, and I'm afraid my version is more calorie-laden. But if I haven't seen Helen's video link on Twitter for Zesty Coriander Pork, I would not have been inspired to try it. 



Zesty Pork with Pak Choi
Ingredients:
500g pork
2tbsp Special Selection Soy Sauce
1tsp Tabasco
1 garlic clove
pak choi (a bunch, not sure about the weight)
1tbsp brandy
15g fresh coriander, chopped
1 lemon (juice+zest)
2tbsp olive oil
1tsp grated ginger

If you carefully watch Helen's video, she has coated pieces of pork in coriander and lemon zest mixture. I confess I tend to cook my pork for longer, so coating in advance wouldn't quite work for me, as the coriander would have been burnt.

So, what did I do? I stir fried the cubed pork in the wok with the olive oil and brandy until well browned on both sides, and then started adding all the other ingredients: grated ginger, soy sauce, Tabasco, chopped garlic, lemon juice and zest and cooked for a few minutes more before adding the pak choi and fresh coriander. I added a bit of water and covered the wok with the lid, so that pak choi would wilt. 




Serve the pork with the jasmine rice or noodles. The flavours were amazing: zingy and fresh. I have used the Amoy Special Selection soy sauce. Tabasco was the substitute for the fresh chili. I actually do have a pot of fresh chilies in the greenhouse, but when I was cooking this dish, it was bucketing outside and I didn't feel like running through the garden to fetch a fresh chili.




If you are counting the calories, visit the original recipe on Helen's blog (see the link at the top of my post).

4 comments:

  1. I could enjoy some zingy and fresh right now, but sadly no one is going to cook for me and I'm not feeling so much like it, apart from not having the ingredients in stock.
    Still I imagine that be a wonderful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought some pork so looking for ideas - love this one so here goes....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, did you watch Helen's video? You might like her original version even more.

      Delete