Monday 16 June 2014

Portuguese-style chicken for World Cup

To continue with our World Cup foodie challenge, I am cooking today a Portuguese-style chicken meal. Apart from cooking a themed meal, I am giving myself a break from football and plan to go to bed early after a couple of mini-disasters in the kitchen. We had guests around lunch time today. And while the grown-ups were chatting in the garden, my little man and his new friend sneaked into the kitchen and placed a lemon, a bowl of grapes and 1/3 of a bottle of olive oil in the washing machine and switched it on. When I realised they were too quiet and went to have a look at what was going on, I found them gigging in the kitchen, while the washing machine was blinking alarmingly. I have stopped it, and later gave it an eco-wash, so far it looks like working. Then later in the evening, as I left the anchovies tin on the kitchen counter, I discovered that my older son has disposed of them by tipping the tin in the sink, and pouring the washing liquid over it, just in case (maybe he thought they need washing because they smell?).



Portuguese-style chicken
Ingredients:
4 chicken thighs
2tbsp olive oil
juice and zest of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 orange
1tsp brown sugar
1 pot of Knorr Flavour Pot/garlic (or use 1heaped tbsp of finely chopped garlic)
chilli flakes (as hot as you like it)
1tsp paprika
sea salt
2 anchovies (optional)
to serve with lemon wedges and salad of tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, gem lettuce and olives, drizzled with a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and Maille mustard.

Mix the olive oil with the zest and juice of 1 lime, half an orange, brown sugar, Knorr Flavour Pot (Garlic), chilli flakes (I added a small pinch, if you like it hot, adjust the quantities), 1tsp of paprika in a medium bowl. Place the chicken thighs in and coat them well. Leave in the fridge to marinade for a couple of hours.
Put the chicken thighs in a baking/roasting dish, and pour the marinade over them. Add a couple of anchovies to the sauce.


While the chicken dish had Portuguese origins, the salad was just a mish-mash of whatever I had in the kitchen, it was vaguely Southern European, with a bit of a Mediterranean spice sumac. I just didn't fancy any more stodge like potatoes or rice. But I think this chicken dish would be lovely with home-made potato wedges or roast sweet potatoes with orange wedges.






Chris from Cooking Around the World has challenged the foodies to take part in a culinary-football-themed game this month. Read all about the rules of the game in his linky Bloggers Around the World.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, oh, that really sounds like a lot of Trouble. At least the chicken made it safely to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and it was lovely, with crispy skin. I also had a glass of wine to calm my nerves.

      Delete
    2. Well, yes, that can help.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, sounds like a lot of mischief! The chicken looks lovely though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he, mischief is an understatement. I'd be in despair if my washing machine dies, I use it every day.

      Delete