Saturday 12 July 2014

Dragonfly tea: finesse in a cup

"As far as her mom was concerned, tea fixed everything. Have a cold? Have some tea. Broken bones? There's a tea for that too. Somewhere in her mother's pantry, Laurel suspected, was a box of tea that said, 'In case of Armageddon, steep three to five minutes'.”  (Aprilynne Pike, Illusions)

Tea might not fix everything, but it certainly makes life much more enjoyable. On many a stressful day, the best way to calm down for me is to have a cup of tea. If you read my blog, you know of my passion for tea. I often say that tea must be running through my veins, as I consume lots and lots of it every day. There are some brands that I am partial to, but I love discovering new product ranges and exploring the new flavours. There are a couple of Dragonfly tea flavours that I buy regularly, but I haven't tried the whole range. That's why I was more than happy to expand my knowledge of Dragonfly tea. I do not cover the whole range in this blog post, as it is much more extensive than a selection of teabags I received for reviewing.
Dragonfly Tea is a British tea company, family-owned, with an impressive hundred years heritage.

Golden Himalaya (The Black Tea Collection) is an organic Darjeeling tea, which is grown in one of the most illustrious tea gardens of the Himalayan foothills.
It is a beautiful tea, smooth, silky and very tasty. It is rich without a bitter aftertaste. Being known as the Champagne of teas, it has a hint of fruit and even honey. I liked it better without milk.



Moonlight Jasmine (The Green Tea Collection) is another light brew, made from organic green tea. It is truly exquisite. Some jasmine teas have a very strong perfume, but Moonlight Jasmine is perfectly balanced. It is refreshing, aromatic and delicious. The floral scent is delicate. A highly enjoyable tea.



Green Gaucho (The Discovery Collection) organic mate tea is a blend of mate, green tea and lemongrass. "Long prized by Argentina's hardy gauchos, Mate is one of South America's most popular drinks". It is a well-rounded brew, energizing and reviving. Excellent after lunch to keep the post-meal slumber at bay. Taste-wise, it is zingy with a citrus note.



Cape Malay Chai (Naturally Caffeine Free Collection) is a variety of rooibos tea. This organic tea is blended with spices such as cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, chicory, cloves, black pepper and cassia oil. Though Asian in its origin, this particular tea is inspired by Cape Town and its culinary traditions. It is lovely with a dash of milk (just a bit) and maybe half a teaspoon of honey or sugar. Spicy chai is always a wonderful perk-me-up on a colder day. I love chai, and this particular chai is one of the teas I buy often.


Earl Grey Rooibos (Dragonfly Rooibos tea) is one of my top favourites. It was my friend Jen who first introduced me to this delightful tea, and I am eternally grateful to her for suggesting it. It was love from the first sip. For me it is a perfect tea, as it is a combination of two of my favouites: rooibos and Earl Grey. I am quite addicted to Earl Grey, and love the fact that I can drink this tea any time of the day, as rooibos is a naturally caffeine free brew. Very aromatic, with an unmistakable bergamot flavour, it is indeed a pure perfection.



Swirling Mist (The Discovery Collection) is an organic white tea. It derives its beautiful name from the silvery down on the underside of white tea leaves. This Bai Mudan tea is grown in the misty high mountains of Fujan province in China. It is an exquisite subtle tea, refined and invigorating. As the website suggests, it is delicious with chocolate based recipes like brownies, cakes and biscuits. Cannot go wrong here. It has such a delicate aroma and flavour, that I wouldn't recommend spoiling adding milk to it. I know the Brits are partial to adding milk to any tea, but please do not ruin the experience.




Moroccan Mint is a brisk Gunpowder green tea with added sweet spearmint. It's a lovely combination of two flavours and an international union, as mint leaves come from Morocco, while the Gunpowder tea is originating from China. It is a well-balanced tea with a clean refreshing taste of green tea and a natural sweetness of spearmint.



Back in January I reviewed Skinny Dragon Pu'er Tea (<---follow the link if you are interested to read about it).

Dragonfly tea also has an impressive range of leaf teas, which comes in beautiful green tins. I have seen some of them in Waitrose.
The full range of Dragonfly Tea is available in all major supermarkets as well as some independent shops.
All Dragonfly Speciality range is certified by The Organic Food Federation.
They don't use artificial additives, preservatives or colourings, and all their teas are GM-free.

For more information about the range, visit Dragonfly tea website.

Disclosure: I received a selection of teabags for the purposes of reviewing but I am also a regular customer of this brand (especially Earl Grey Rooibos). All opinions are mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment