Wednesday 18 January 2017

Foil-baked feta with caper berries and Greek basil

feta recipes, baked cheese


I already have enough cook books to last me a lifetime, but could never resist a temptation of buying more. Especially when I find interesting cook books in charity shops, or if they are on good offer at Book People. A few months ago I was browsing a shelf or discarded library books, all hardbacks priced at £1, when I spotted Flavour: a world of beautiful food by Vicky Bhogal. This book is all about fusion cuisine.
I have bookmarked a few recipes including a delicious-looking foil-baked feta.

I have adapted the recipe, first of all by halving the weight of ingredients. I only cooked two blocks of feta (200g each), as my kids don't like the taste of feta cheese. Even that was quite a lot for two. A half of one block per person is plenty, especially if you have it with chunky bread.
Also I couldn't find fresh oregano, and used Greek basil instead. I have added big sized caper berries to the baked feta rather then small capers.

baked cheese


Foil-baked feta with caper berries and Greek basil
Ingredients:
2 blocks of 200g feta cheese (I used Odysea sheep & goat's milk feta)
4tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
a good pinch of paprika
a handful of fresh Greek basil
2 medium tomatoes, skinned and chopped
a handful of caper berries

for an onion slaw:
1 big sized red onion, thinly sliced
1/2tsp paprika
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tsp brown sugar
a good squeeze of lemon juice
a pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 200C. Make two foil pouches with biggish squares of foil.
Boil the water, and dip in two tomatoes in it for a minute, then rinse under the cold water and peel off the skin. Finely slice tomatoes, mix with chopped herbs, paprika, finely chopped garlic and olive oil.
Divide the mix in two, and spoon into two foil pouches. Dip the feta blocks in the tomato mix, put them on and spoon a bit of tomatoes on top. Loosely fold the pouches. Put them in the oven for 15 minutes.
Serve hot with fresh crusty bread.
It was absolutely delicious, and so easy to make too. Feta has mellowed and softened.

baked cheese

Vicky Bhogal also adds a finely sliced onion to the feta pouch.
I decided to make a red onion slaw separately. In fact, you will need to start first with the slaw, as it takes time to infuse. It is even better made overnight, but even one hour will do.
Slice one big red onion as thinly as you can. I used a mandolin. Then squeeze and scrunch the onion rings in a medium sized bowl, to soften them a bit. Add brown sugar, paprika and balsamic vinegar. Also add a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Let it infuse from 1 to 24 hours. I am personally happy to eat this slaw in any cheese sandwich or with any rice dishes. Of course, if you are going on a date, skip it.


onion side dish or appetiser


baked cheese, Greek style recipes

2 comments:

  1. I love fusion food and experimenting with putting different flavours together (who'd have thought bacon and choc chip cookies would work ?!) so I love the sound of this - both the book and the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this book, and I'm sure you'll be seeing me cooking more meals featured in it, they are very scrumptious

      Delete